Re: delete data from table without rollback/logging?

From: Dino Hsu <dino1.nospam_at_ms1.hinet.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2001 14:22:20 +0800

On Sun, 7 Oct 2001 08:22:20 +1000, "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote:

>Yes, and the hidden parameter is called _enable_discrete_transactions.
>Clearly, in 8i and above, they've made it less of a cloak-and-dagger affair
>that it used to be by knocking up a package that does what the parameter
>used to do. Big deal: you'll appreciate that discrete transactions have
>specific uses, and are unsuited for "regular" DML activity however they are
>enabled. In particular, they are designed to be used for short transactions
>that modify only a few blocks, and which never change an Oracle block more
>than once. That is not "regular DML" in my book, and doesn't sound like the
>kind of thing our original poster was wanting to do in any case.
>
>HJR
In addition to autonomous transaction, this discrete transaction thing is kinda interesting. From the doc, it says dbms_transaction.begin_discrete_transaction() is used to start a discrete transaction (how to end?), but no details. I need to know if this is suitable for deleting 1 million records from a 50 million records table without undo. Thanks in advance.

Dino Received on Sun Oct 07 2001 - 01:22:20 CDT