XML manipulation in PL/SQL (non 8i/9i)

From: Radu Lascae <r.xxxx_at_wanadoo.nl>
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2001 09:26:53 GMT

Hi all,

Wondering if this is the right group to post to, please advise if otherwise.

I need to be able to manipulate XML messages, either returned as a parameter from an external procedure call (.so on Unix or .dll on NT) or as persistent messages (files) from Pl/SQL stored procedures.

This is done for an interface project. The current interface architecture is based on the exchange of persistent, fixed field length ASCII files between the interfacing systems, UTL_FILE got me there. The stored procedures were called from a scheduler, either from Unix scripts running on the crontab or from batch files on NT, which in turn called sqlplus to run anonymous bloks. The idea is to preserve this way of running the stored procedures, obviously not necessarily using UTL_FILE.

I am aware that I could accomplish just that, using 8i/9i server and the XDK for Pl/SQL. Problem is: I may not have this option, as this is a big customer with its own standards and does not upgrade easily its IT infrastructure.

What I'm asking is then: is there a way to manipulate XML in Pl/SQL on Oracle 7.3.4. and/or 8.05, e.i. short of writing my own parser?

I'm thinking on the lines of being able to access Java classes from stored procedures, which is apparently what 8i/9i can do.

Any insight much appreciated.

Regards,
Radu Lascae Received on Sat Oct 06 2001 - 04:26:53 CDT