Re: ORU-10027

From: Ron Reidy <ron_at_indra.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2001 16:25:06 -0600

Gloria Zhao wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> When I called a PL/SQL procedure, it gave me the following error:
>
> ERROR at line 1:
> ORA-20000: ORU-10027: buffer overflow, limit of 1000000 bytes
>
> Could someone tell me how I could have this problem fixed? I would
> really appreciate it.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Gloria

You are trying to write too much data via DBMS_OUTPUT. From the docs...

DBMS_OUTPUT The DBMS_OUTPUT package enables you to send messages from stored procedures, packages, and triggers.

The PUT and PUT_LINE procedures in this package enable you to place information in a buffer that can be read by another trigger, procedure, or
package. In a separate PL/SQL procedure or anonymous block, you can display the buffered information by calling the GET_LINE procedure.

If you do not call GET_LINE, or if you do not display the messages on your screen in SQL*Plus or Enterprise Manager, then the buffered messages are ignored. The DBMS_OUTPUT package is especially useful for displaying PL/SQL debugging information.

           Note:

           Messages sent using DBMS_OUTPUT are not actually sent until
the                sending subprogram or trigger completes. There
           is no mechanism to flush output during the execution of
a                      procedure.

Security

At the end of this script, a public synonym (DBMS_OUTPUT) is created and EXECUTE permission on this package is granted to public.

Errors

DBMS_OUTPUT subprograms raise the application error ORA-20000, and the output procedures can return the following errors:

Table 26-1 DBMS_OUTPUT

Error                     Description
ORU-10027:                Buffer overflow
ORU-10028:                Line length overflow
--
Ron Reidy
Oracle DBA