Re: Export UTF8 db

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 21:18:22 +0200

"Nitin" <nitinkpai_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:2e6e731e.0110051035.1d488942_at_posting.google.com...
> The db is using character set UTF8. The NLS_LANG env variable is set
> to AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P15
>
> During export the following text (as expected) is observed in the
> export log file.
> "Export done in WE8ISO8859P15 character set and UTF8 NCHAR character
> set
> server uses UTF8 character set (possible charset conversion)"
>
> I use this export dump to create a db on another box with NLS_LANG env
> variable set to AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P15
>
> And the following text (again, as expected) is observed in the import
> log file.
> "import done in WE8ISO8859P15 character set and UTF8 NCHAR character
> set
> import server uses UTF8 character set (possible charset conversion)"
>
> Is there a potential problem in my new database? How can I verify if
> there does exist a problem or not?
>
> Thanx.

Just read the messages
During export you convert from UTF8 to WE8ISO8859P1, because of the (incorrect) NLS_LANG setting.
During import you reserve the process due to another incorrect NLS_LANG settting.
You're going to loose your precious special characters. You need to set the last bit of NLS_LANG to UTF8, or you will get character set conversion.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Received on Fri Oct 05 2001 - 14:18:22 CDT