Recover some HD, HUGE temporary file

From: Erik Dantes <erik.dantes_at_wmich.edu>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2001 09:04:33 -0400

Got an issue. Oracle 8.1.5 on Win NT4

I need to recover a large amount of space on the hard drive. We had a mishap with the temporary tablespace. The datafile in the last day has grown over 3 Gig. I have coalesced the free extents and it is now 99% free. Needless to say, it has caused a space crunch.

I need to desperately resize the datafile down to something more concise. The tablespace is a temporary type.

Can I add another datafile to the TEMPORARY_DATA tablespace, then take the large datafile offline, and subsequently delete it? Being that it is a 'temporary', once I add anther file I should be able to safely remove it, right?

Will this work?
* ALTER TABLESPACE "TEMPORARY_DATA" ADD DATAFILE 'tmp2orcl.ora' SIZE
5M

If not, what are my other options?
Erik Dantes
erik.dantes_at_wmich.edu Received on Fri Oct 05 2001 - 08:04:33 CDT