Re: Candidate for replication?

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 4 Oct 2001 23:57:58 -0700

staryeti_at_bellsouth.net wrote in message news:<3bbccb01.27717545_at_news1.lig.bellsouth.net>...
> I've got a project that will require making a
> read-only copy of our production database available
> to a new web-based system. The production database
> is Oracle8 (soon to be 8i); it consists of about
> 40 reference tables, which would tend to be fairly static,
> and about 60 data tables, about 30 of which would be
> used by the new web app, and which would be updated
> often. If I understand replication (snapshots) correctly, the
> replication is done on a table-by-table basis (I have to write a
> scripts for each table).
>
> Is this situation a good candidate for replication, or should I just
> create an automatic process to export from the production db each
> night and import a fresh copy into the read-only db daily? How
> fast would the replication scripts run once the initial copy is set up
> (i.e., is speed a consideration with this number of tables)?

That depends on your needs. If your site is not 24/7 and read-only copy of your database can contains one day old data, then running exp/imp by scripts each night within backup window can be a good idea. It will be simple to build and maintain. If you need exact copy through the day, you can use replication or stand-by database.

Dusan Bolek, Ing.
Oracle team leader

Note: pagesflames_at_usa.net has been cancelled due to changes (maybe we
can call it an overture to bankruptcy) on that server. I'm still using
this email to prevent SPAM. Maybe one day I will change it and have a
proper mail even for news, but right now I can be reached by this
email.