Re: Cannot open DB (because corrupt Rman datafile)

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 06:32:35 +1000

You can only talk tablespace language *when* the database is fully open, so the command you want is alter database datafile x offline. Database language (ie, talking to the controlfile) is available in the MOUNT stage, which is the one you fell over in.

On another point, is this database actually useful for anything other than RMAN? I mean is it your real, live, production database? If so, why on Earth is the RMAN tablespace *within* the database it's supposed to be backing up? The RMAN catalog is supposed to be in a separate database on a separate machine. Otherwise, it would be a case of too many eggs in one vulnerable basket.

Regards
HJR

--
Resources for OracleT: www.geocities.com/howardjr2000