Starting instance - Access denied

From: J. Fleck <fleckj__at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 22:18:51 +0200

Hi,
I am trying to re-install Oracle 8.1.7 (I have tried both the enterprise and personal edition) under win2k professional. After configuring the Listener using Oracle default values. I try to create a new database. I always get the message "ora-12560 tns protocol adaptor error" (or someting like that). Basically this means that there is no Oracle instance running. This is true because if I look in the Windows control panel I see in the event viewer that when starting Windows none of the Oracle sevices could be started
(Access is denied).. If I try to start them manually I get the same message
('Error 5: Access is denied').

I have seen posts from other people with the same problem (ora-12560). The standard answer is 'listener.ora and / or tnsnames.ora are not configuered correctly'. This maybe the case. However no one actually says what the correct configuration is. The Oracle document delivered with the download version is a little coy about this. The sample files are Unix orientated and adapting them does not help.

I only want to be able to access a local Oracle database in order to carry out a limited number of tests.

Basically the question is, why does Oracle refuse access when starting an instance and what must I do to solve the problem?

Thanks for the help that I know that I going to get from you dedicated professionals out there.

Regards,

Jim Fleck Received on Thu Oct 04 2001 - 15:18:51 CDT