Re: Net8 Connection Pooling Vs Multiplexing

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 07:46:07 -0700

Connection pooling is done at the server end. It's basically a way of sharing TCP ports on the server.

Connection multiplexing is usually done in the mid-tier. You have multiple clients connected to the mid-tier, all using one big fat pipe to connect to the database.

--
HTH.  Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete
Author of "Oracle8i: Architecture and Administration Exam Cram"
Now got a life back again that the book is released!

Kevin Loney, Oracle DBA Handbook

"Oh no, it's not.  It's much harder than that!"
Bruce Pihlamae, long-term Oracle DBA