Home -> Community -> Usenet -> c.d.o.server -> Re: Be polite to the Group as a professional. Re: ora817 client access problems. Net8 test ok, but TNSPing does not work.

Re: Be polite to the Group as a professional. Re: ora817 client access problems. Net8 test ok, but TNSPing does not work.

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 4 Oct 2001 00:55:41 -0700

Comments embedded

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

guxinhong_at_yahoo.com (simon gu) wrote in message news:<ae637542.0110030608.78b1bd77_at_posting.google.com>... [snip]

> Oracle dababase is nothing but a customerizable/configturable
> client-server application like we build all the time on the database
> end. The client connectivity stuff should make simple as earlier
> versions. software vendors tend to add some gui puffy stuff to add to
> their sales, sometime lost of track of end users' core interest. In my
> opinion, client just need to provide server IP address, database
> oracle server instance name on this server, (1521 is industry
> standrard default network logical port for oracle software), that's
> all. Now the configuration is just too much. Keep this/that in syn,
> this role/that rule, This is good in another sense to keep DBA
> employed... ...

I don't agree with you here. Sqlnet2 exists since '93 and was invented to get protocol transparency. Your proposal would put us back to before 93 and also not allow for worldwide networks of databases, as sqlnet 1 can't handle those.
I also definitely am against using IP-adresses in tnsnames.ora and the like, just because they may change. You're loosing transparency by using the IP address and sqlnet resolves the DNS name *only once*, so there shouldn't be any concern here, apart from setting up an appropiate DNS server. I would consider a setup with IP adresses only suited for home and hobby, but not for work purposes. In fact it is the use of IP addresses and related procedures which keeps the DBA employed: many sites are not willing to set their config up *properly* initially. That is usually penny wise, pound foolish.

> We would like to place incident_ call to oracle offical help to get
> the bottom of this. But my employer is willing to pay me overtime, not
> the outside source, strange or not.

Which is also penny wise, pound foolish.

> We did not experience problems with ora7 families, up to 8.05 as far
> as I know.

The behavior of sqlnet changed in 8i, as is documented.

[snip]

> Setting a global name for an db instance at the SERVER SIDE is a
> user's choice,oracle recommend global_names, db_domain (so you have a
> db name as unique as your server machine's ip). Setting a
> names.default_domain at the CLIENT SIDE in the designated sqlnet.ora
> file would force you to name all your service names ending with this
> "default_domain" suffix, not desiable at all time. Also I presume this
> has nothing to do with the server db_domain for a db instance since
> one client could establish db connections for more than one IP address
> that host the oracle db server. Consistence here ? sid.db_domain
> (Initsid.ora, server file)and names.default_domain(sqlnet.ora, on
> client side) are different concepts. correct me if i am wrong.

I don't agree with you.
The concept is every database is in a domain. This applies both to client and server, as clients potentially connect to databases in multiple domains.
(findb.us.oracle.com as opposed to findb.nl.oracle.com)

The default_domain was introduced to make connect strings more easy, so the end-user wouldn't have to type findb.nl.oracle.com, but typing findb would suffice.
If that same user would have to connect to findb.us.oracle.com he needs to use the full connect string.

Setting a names.default_domain doesn't force you to use the same domain for all databases at all, as the client can use the different domain in their connect string.
As ideally the domain is a *DNS* domain, having three different databases at one location in three different domains doesn't make sense to me at all.
Yet that is the situation I currently have at hand at a particular site.

So, AFAIK, the domain at the server means the same as domain at the client, and this is how I read the net8 administrators manual.

Changes in 8i
- the server doesn't use sqlnet.default_domain as default db_domain parameter anymore.
- the default domain 'world' when no domain was present has been deleted.
- you now should use a domain in your servicename definition in tnsnames.ora'
so
findb.nl.oracle.com = ( etc

If you would check on my posting history, you would know I respond to these questions for *many* years. Over the years I have seen the number of *completely uninformed* people, who don't read anything (I'm not joking), increasing rapidly.
In my job my main function seems to be cleaning out other peoples messes.
Yes, I admit I am annoyed and frustrated by this. I try to hide this as much as I can, usually by not responding to these posts anymore. However, ocasionally, I don't manage to do so. From my perspective it looked like you were asking the same question over and over again, without picking up any of my advices. Yes, I admit I was annoyed by that, as I spend a mayor part of my *own time* to respond to your and other requests.