Re: Tablespace defined

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 15:07:27 +1000

It's just a logical wrapper around some (could be just one) physical datafiles. Instead of then having to issue the command

'create table blah(
col1 char(5),
col2 number)
datafile '/bing/bong/squiggle/squish/zap/data01.dbf';

...which is a bit of a mouthful, you just say 'create table...tablespace DATA', and Oracle does the thunking down from the friendly logical name "DATA" to the actual physical datafiles where the stuff has to be created.

Forget the name "table"space... it has nothing to do with tables, really: its a logical storage area where any sort of segment can be created (indexes, rollback segments, IOTs, Clusters, LOB Segments, Lob Indexes, Table Partitions, Index Partitions -you name it, they all get stored in a tablespace (and hence on a physical disk) somewhere, sometime).

Regards
HJR

--
Resources for OracleT: www.geocities.com/howardjr2000