Re: Tablespace defined

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 05:46:31 +0200

"Michael Rowley" <stardog_at_itchy.serv.net> wrote in message news:1002153860.5035_at_dns2.serv.net...
> I'm having a heck of a time understanding exactly what a table space is.
> My O'Reilly Oracle book makes a valiant attempt at explaining it and does
> a great job in other areas but for some reason the way they describe
> tablespace does not click with my way of thinking. Can someone give a
> newbie a quick shot on what a tablespace is as opposed to a table.
> Thanks a million.

A tablespace is a container to store multiple tables/indexes or whatever other object has a physical representation As a tablespace also needs at least one physical datafile, it is the main Oracle mechanism to make sure the database is not in one single physical O/S file, but in multiple files.
At least you have one tablespace called SYSTEM containing all tables for the user SYS, the so-called datadictionary. All tables of other users should go to other tablespaces, preferably one per application, but still better so two: one to hold the applications tables, and one to hold the applications indexes.

I don't know the O'Reilly book, usually they are pretty good. However, in this case I would also definitely not skip reading the Oracle Concepts Manual.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Received on Wed Oct 03 2001 - 22:46:31 CDT