query modeling ... how to make Oracle believe it has 10K rows when it has less

From: Peter Shankey <shankeyp_at_its.charlestoncounty.org>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 21:04:35 GMT

       oracle 8.1.7
       I seem to recall reading someplace it is possible to model how a
query will be optimized given different numbers of rows in the tables
       which make up the query. I know given the tables populated I can
do a analyze { Index|Table|Cluster } .... then perform an explain plan
       on the query, but I seem to recall I could make the optimizer
believe there are 10M rows instead of 10 rows. It seems to me some of the
       values in some of system tables would need to be changed. If this
is the case please point me in the correct direction to do something like
       this.

pete Received on Wed Oct 03 2001 - 16:04:35 CDT