Re: Checkpoints and Rollback Segments

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 20:04:03 +0100

If you are running tests with large number of serial inserts, with sequential keys, using a single row insert in a pl/sql loop, then you could find that 50 inserts affect a total of two 'data' blocks (one table, one index leaf', whereas 50 inserts could affect half a dozen rollback blocks. Doing insert, delete, commit in the loop would then result in much more rollback being generated, as the rollback entry for a delete is the whole row. Finally, if you have multiple concurrent processes inserting, you may find that you managed to stop Oracle from being able to re-acquire rollback blocks to fill them - leading to very large numbers of nearly empty rollback blocks being generated.

Alternatively, it is also possible that you are observing a side-effect of the 'hot block' mechanism. Rollback blocks may be re-used two or three times in quick succession, resulting in them being promoted to the hot portion of the buffer; so it takes longer for them to age out of the buffer than data blocks. This means that highly scattered data blocks may be written out much more quickly than their rollback blocks by DBWR's 'idle write' activity.

--
Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Host to The Co-Operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Author of:

Screen saver or Life saver: http://www.ud.com
Use spare CPU to assist in cancer research.