Re: log file sync

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 18:48:51 +0100

This is because there is an undocumented feature of PL/SQL that it does not do a
log file sync on commit - it simply posts lgwr to write and continues - moreover, if your process is the only active one so that it has cycled round the loop before lgwr has responded to the post, your process will not even send a new write message on the grounds that the latest
redo/commit will be caught when lgwr finally catches up with the previous post.
Not only will your 'redo sync writes' be one per pl/sql call, your 'redo writes' will be less than your commits.

This is (I presume) to protect databases from programmers who produce fast loops with
single row inserts and commits.

You cannot approximate high-rate processes by using pl/sql loops - you may need to write a simple Pro*C/OCI program to do it.

--
Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Host to The Co-Operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Author of:

Screen saver or Life saver: http://www.ud.com
Use spare CPU to assist in cancer research.