Extremly slow first connect

From: Neil <neil_at_nospam.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 16:28:12 +0100

Just installed 8.1.7 enterprise on W2000 with 1Gb RAM Previously had 8.1.5 which I wiped before install.

Initial Connect times from any application is very slow (~30s), subsequent connects are <1s.
This is true of the oracle tools as well as other applications, such as SQL Navigator. Having other applications with open connections when trying to open one from a new application has no effect (that is it still takes 30s)

TNS ping reports 30ms.

The database is the one built when Oracle is installed with no changes.

Ive tried changing TNS entries and adding new ones to use the ip address, localhost and also internal connections with no joy.

Interestingly if I open one connection using internal connection (30s) then opening one using tcp takes <1s.

Has anyone seen this and know a solution, this didnt happen with 8.1.5 so I guess that theres something wrong.

Thanks

Neil Received on Wed Oct 03 2001 - 10:28:12 CDT