Re: ORA-12571:TNS:PACKET WRITER FAILURE - NOT A TECH, BUT NEED 8i HELP BADLY

From: Paul Drake <paledHOWMUCHSPAMCANYOUEAT_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 22:53:27 GMT

Jonathan,

You are going to have a difficult time with support on 8.1.5. Others will post that you should upgrade to the 8i Release 3 binaries asap. As of 31-OCT, 8.1.6 is off of maintenance. For security with respect to multiple TNS Listener vulnerabilities, you should at least patch to 8.1.7.1.5 (to 8.1.7.1.1 first) or straight to 8.1.7.2.1 (read the release notes for the patch sets).

Can you arrange for scheduling an upgrade to 8.1.7? Clear it with the vendor - e.g. Allaire - as far as if CF v4.0 works with an 8.1.7 database - it should.
You might want to consider contracting with a 3rd party to perform the upgrade, one that would provide on-going maintenance and support.

Things that you can check immediately:

EVENT Viewer

ALERT log

see when the instance is first started, and how long until the database fully open. Check that crash recovery is not taking place, as that could cause quite a delay in opeining the database

TRACE files

If you are going to upgrade from 8.1.5 to 8.1.7 - make sure that you have both an export (full=y) and a cold backup before upgrading.

hth,

Paul