Re: Standby database as a reporting database ?

From: Paul Brewer <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 21:52:08 +0100

I agree with everything that's been said. Reminder, though:

A Read Only database is *exactly* what it says on the box. You cannot recompile any invalid objects. Nor can you write to a conventional TEMP tablespace .. you have to make it locally managed. You cannot submit *anything* which would generate redo.
Also, you have to be extremely careful not to do any unrecoverable actions on the master.
All in all, if at all practicable, I'd recommend keeping the standby database as a true standby for DR, and maintaining instance No. 3 if you want a separate reporting or MIS database.

Just my USD 0.02.

Paul