Re: rman tablespace managment

From: Manuela Mueller <520040906697-0001_at_t-online.de>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 22:58:23 +0200

>There is no requirement for the catalog tablespace to be dictionary managed,
>but this is a classic example of the dangers of using Locally Managed
>tablespaces unwisely in ANY situation, not just RMAN.
>
>The usual advice is that the catalog tablespace needs to be around (from
>memory) 50Mb or so. But if you create it locally managed with a uniform
>size of 5M, you'll get precisely 9 extents out of such a tablespace (not 10,
>because you have to allow for the 64Kb bitmap at the head of the
>tablespace).
>
>The catalog has far more segments within it than that, though... (since I
>switched to 9i, which doesn't need a catalog, I haven't got one handy to
>check the numbers precisely I'm afraid), so obviously, when it tries to
>create the 10th segment, it will fail to find enough space to allocate its
>initial extent.
>
>Have another go, using locally managed tablespace, but this time use a more
>sensible uniform size -say 64K. You should find it creates no problems.
>
>Regards
>HJR
Hello Howard,
thanx for your quick response.
Gave it another try, now total size of tablespace is 64M, extent size 64K.
As you said, it works like a charm!
On my first approach, total size was 50M, was too occupied with the concepts of RMAN, didn't think about the extent size and (more worse) the space needed to maintain the tablespace. Regards
Manuela Mueller Received on Tue Oct 02 2001 - 15:58:23 CDT