Re: Oracle Expert vs. utlbstat/utlestat

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 22:35:52 +0200

"Dino Hsu" <dino1.nospam_at_ms1.hinet.net> wrote in message news:hthjrt8eq93urhu902caoctliidlvg04a7_at_4ax.com...
> Dear all,
>
> When I tried tuning the first time, I was told to use
> utlbstat/utlestat and tried to interpret report.txt. Later I found
> Oracle Expert is much easier. Can anyone compare these two tools?
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Dino

The main difference is that Oracle Expert makes decisions for you, you may not like, and if you have the ultbstat/utlestat report, you can go into any detail you want.
Initially it would seems Oracle Expert is easier to use, but I don't think that's true. It's like NT performance tuning. Without an intimate knowledge of the registry, using Perfmon will show only the most appalling problems. For 8.1.6 and higher ultbstat and utlestat has been superseded by statspack, and I'm not sure whether Oracle Expert has been used to upgrade to use statspack.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Received on Tue Oct 02 2001 - 15:35:52 CDT