Re: rman tablespace managment

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 06:26:39 +1000

There is no requirement for the catalog tablespace to be dictionary managed, but this is a classic example of the dangers of using Locally Managed tablespaces unwisely in ANY situation, not just RMAN.

The usual advice is that the catalog tablespace needs to be around (from memory) 50Mb or so. But if you create it locally managed with a uniform size of 5M, you'll get precisely 9 extents out of such a tablespace (not 10, because you have to allow for the 64Kb bitmap at the head of the tablespace).

The catalog has far more segments within it than that, though... (since I switched to 9i, which doesn't need a catalog, I haven't got one handy to check the numbers precisely I'm afraid), so obviously, when it tries to create the 10th segment, it will fail to find enough space to allocate its initial extent.

Have another go, using locally managed tablespace, but this time use a more sensible uniform size -say 64K. You should find it creates no problems.

Regards