Question: DMBS_RLS Row-level Security Policies

From: Mike Jay <mikejay_at_mitre.org>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 13:46:53 -0400

Hi folks,

For a given object_schema.object_name (e.g., myuser.mytable) with a 'SELECT' statement_types parameter to DMBS_RLS.ADD_POLICY, will every policy fire for two or more policies?

That is, if mytable has the two policies:

DMBS_RLS.ADD_POLICY(myuser,

                    mytable,
                    mypolicy_select_A,
                    mypackageuser,
                    mypackage.myfunction_A,

'SELECT')
DMBS_RLS.ADD_POLICY(myuser, mytable, mypolicy_select_B, mypackageuser, mypackage.myfunction_B,
'SELECT')

will both mypolicy_select_A and mypolicy_select_B fire?

If so, are the two dynamic predicates joined by AND rather than OR logic?

Having read:

Oracle8i (8.1.6) Concepts, A76965-01, Chapter 27, Privileges, Roles, and Security Policies

Oracle8i (8.1.6) Supplied PL/SQL Packages Reference, A76936-01, Chapter 44, DBMS_RLS I had expected that both should fire and that both d_pred values returned must be true for a given row to be selected by a given user.

Also, in my particular example, one policy works as expected, but the other fails.

Using DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE to check package functions (i.e., myfunction_A and myfunction_B), the d_pred returned is the correct VARCHAR2 dynamic predicate for my business rules with respect the package functions.

Yet, I still am not certain how the functions work at run time with a SQL SELECT statement's WHERE clause for such things as precedence and syntactical grouping, that is, I may need parenthesis where I thought I didn't.

Does anyone have a keyword--I have tried row-level security--for use in searches on technet as the Row-Level Security involves more than PL/SQL packages per se?

Thanks,
mikejay Received on Tue Oct 02 2001 - 12:46:53 CDT