Re: Starting Oracle Agent after renaming Windows 2000 machine

From: Brian Lenz <brian_at_infopop.com>
Date: 2 Oct 2001 10:04:09 -0700

brian_at_infopop.com (Brian Lenz) wrote in message news:<3c610ebc.0110011601.4ae85b47_at_posting.google.com>...
> I'm running Oracle 8.1.7 on Windows 2000. My database is (was) all set
> up and configured correctly. I renamed my computer.
>
> Now that my machine has been renamed, I can no longer start up the
> OracleOraHome81Agent. I get the following error:
>
> [Microsoft Management Console]
> Could not start the OracleOraHome81Agent service on Local Computer.
>
> Error 3221356559:
>

> I've gone through and checked the listeners.ora and tnsnames.ora files
> to make sure they point at the correct hosts, and they do. I am able
> to start up all other Oracle services (databases, TNSListeners, etc.)
> without a problem.
>
> Does anyone have any idea what could be giving me this error?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Brian

I actually found the solution to this problem. To fix it, you need to make sure the OracleAgent service is stopped and go to the $ORACLE_HOME/network/agent directory and delete the *.q and services.ora files (I'd recommend moving them).

**IMPORTANT NOTE: **
This fix should be done with the understanding that any jobs or events registered against that Agent will be lost. Do not remove files from $ORACLE_HOME\network\agent directory until all OEM Administrators have been
notified. Any active jobs or registered events against this agent should be
removed from OEM console before deleting the agent's *.q files.

At this point, the OracleAgent service should be able to start up just fine.

I then ran into a problem of getting the ORA-03113 end-of-file on communication channel error. In order to get around this problem, I had to remove SQLNET authentication in the sqlnet.ora file located in $ORACLE_HOME/network/ADMIN.

Either remove the following line:
SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)
or change it to:
SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NONE) This should resolve the EOF problem and you should be able to connect successfully!

Brian Received on Tue Oct 02 2001 - 12:04:09 CDT