Re: Oracle 8.1.7 download from oracle

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 06:19:07 +1000

All Oracle downloads are unencumbered full versions of whatever Edition you are choosing to download. (You still need to check whether you are downloading the Enterprise Edition or the Standard Edition, though).

There are no time-limits; there are no bits of 'crippleware' floating around. Everything works exactly as it would off the purchased CD set.

The only twist is in the license. The not-so small print states that you must not use the downloaded software for commercial purposes... so it can't legally be used in a full-blown production environment. You also can't use it to offer education or training to anyone else. It's purely for your own learning, testing and evaluation purposes.

The other slight drawback when compared with a proper purchased version is that you don't get an account on Metalink, where the latest bug reports and fixes and patches are located. There's obviously no support for it, either. Very much a case of 'you're on your own'.

Regards

(http://download.oracle.com/otn/nt/oracle8i/nt817se.zip)