Re: Failing to install Oracle under Redhat would SUSE be more easy ?

From: Tim Schaefer <tim_at_datad.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 14:55:20 -0400

Kim,

I've installed SuSE 7.2, and all kinds of stuff on the system like the Java SDK and other fun stuff, and then installed Oracle without incident. You must follow the installation instructions to the letter, or you will have problems not only with the install, but of course trying to get the engine working, and the OEM working.

I've also submitted here in this newsgroup a couple of little problems that have been show-stoppers after the Oracle installation on SuSE 7.2:

  1. /etc/services will be wrong out-of-the-box. FIX the entries that point to 1521/tcp FIRST BEFORE INSTALLING. Make sure 1521 or whatever port you decide on isn't being used by something else. SuSE is supposedly certified for Oracle, but those silly Germans forgot to set up /etc/services correctly.

As a side-note, I'm also using the Linux box as a DHCP-client behind a http://www.clarkconnect.org Firewall. This little firewall product is the best I've seen, especially for people like who don't do firewalls, and it's
FREE. Requires a separate firewall server. I'm able to set up rules to allow
me to get to the Oracle server from the outside, for a documentation and test
box right through my cable-modem.

2. the .profile in the docs has an error if you use the English version, they accidentally put a '-' in the

    NLS_LANG=AMERICAN-AMERICA.UTF8; export NLS_LANG statement, it should be AMERICAN_AMERICA instead of the above line, using an under-bar instead of a dash.

3. I'm still trying to discover why the documentation-based dbora start/stop script won't auto-start the engine on reboot, or shut it down on shutdown but will have this worked out in a day or so.

4. You will have to manually start "lsnrctl start" in your dbora script, as this apparently does not start up automagically upon engine start. Informix has listeners built-into their shared-memory products--all have networking built-in to the engine, something I'm missing here in Oracleland.   :-) I think Sybase and DB2 also have the networking listeners built-in.

Anyway, go for it, I'd recommend SuSE as a great way to get started with Linux, and of course, Oracle. Now if I could just find some 9i books at the bookstore!

Thanks,

Tim

Tim Schaefer,
Neophyte Oracle DBA