Re: Oracle SQL Formats??

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 12:07:03 GMT

On Mon, 1 Oct 2001 13:34:41 +0200, "Alexander" <abauer_at_gmx.net> wrote:

>- Searching varchar2-fields is case-sensitive:
>...where field LIKE '%text%' will not return 'TEXT...'
>I would need case-insensitive search, what can I do?

Create a function-based index on UPPER(field).

>- MSSQL-Server allows to use [fieldname] if the fieldname is a reseved
>keyword.
>What can be used in Oracle-SQL??

Double quotes. As in "fieldname".

>- Dateformat: yyyy-mm-dd seems to be not supported.
>I need to enter dd.mm.yy, but this maybe is a regional setting of my
>computer.
>Any suggestions how to use date-formats (maybe
>regional-setting-independent)??

You can set the default date format at both server and client ends.

>- I search for auto-values (self-increasing) for the primary-key-field.
>I could not find such a setting. How can I create auto-incrementing fields
>in Oracle?

Search this newsgroup in google. There are plenty of instances of answers to this question.

>- Is there no boolean-field in orcale?
>-Do I have to use number (LONG)?

Not sure if this is two questions or one. Boolean does not exist as a table data field, but it exists for PL/SQL. Unfortunately, I don't think you can store it as boolean.

If you want a classic C-like boolean (long integer), it doesn't exist. I suggest you use a char(1)?

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam Received on Mon Oct 01 2001 - 07:07:03 CDT