Re: Oracle 9i DBA Studio

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 09:19:48 +0100

"pklosky" <member_at_dbforums.com> wrote in message news:3bb49336$1_at_usenetgateway.com...
> Dear Marty Grinstead,
>
> Thanks for the outstanding response to my query. Your answer was
> directly on target, and solved my problem perfectly. As you say, I see
> that "Enterprise Manager Console" serves where "Database
> Administration/DBA Studio" served in the 8i Windows start menu
> organization. I tested it and it works perfectly, providing the GUI i/f
> to the many aspects of the associated Oracle 9i DB it can control.

Good to see credit being given where it is due. Perhaps some of the more frequent posters here might not be so grouchy and tend to RTFM answers so often if thanks were like this were more frequently proferred.

> One comment I have generally about the Oracle product offering is that
> the folks at Oracle chose to rename important commands every release,
> for no obvious reason.

The actual commands tend to stay the same,. though they might be extended. It is the wholesale renaming of product offerings , presumably inspired by marketing that gets my goat. The Oracle full text search product for example doesn't seem to last with the same name for more than about a year. Having said that for my word processing I have used word 2,4,6,95,97,200,XP. Admittedly MS keep the word name but the sequential versioning leaves something to be desired. I guess there is no substitute for reading the readme with each product and never assuming that marketing haven't got at something. I still don't like it though because then when something fundamental is introduced it is easy to assume it a a product rebadge OPS and Real Application Clusters springs to mind.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA