Linux/Oracle Questions

From: Brasstone <Not_at_Available.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 19:41:30 -0500

For the past couple of weeks I have been learning how Linux works. I bought a new machine to run it on, and went through quite a lot getting xwindows to work.

Well now I have Xwindows working, I have the network up. I'm a little more familiar with mounting drives, navigating, et cetera.

I have three questions that I can't seem to figure out. One seems like it should be simple.

  1. I have a share on Win2000 machine that I want to 'map to', but I don't have a clue how. (I've been ftping stuff around).
  2. I am trying to install Oracle 8i on my Linux 7.1 machine. The install instructions talk about backward compatibility issues and recommends three files: compat-glibc-6.2.1.3.2.src.rpm, compat-libs-6.2..., and compat-egcs-6.2. Anyway, I downloaded them... ftp'ed them over to my linux machine, and when I double click them in xwindows it says "install of 1 packages failed". Is anybody familiar with this?
  3. This Oracle install is killing me. I am installing it for a Database class I am taking, and I think I will be through the class before I get it up and running. I moved everything into an install directory under ORACLE_HOME, and when I run './runInstaller' it says "Intializing Java Virtual Machine from ../stage/components/oracle.swd.jre/1.1.8/1/ DataFiles/Expanded/linux/bin/jre. please wait..." and it sits this way. Any info on this would also be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for any time you put into reading/answering this, James Received on Sun Sep 30 2001 - 19:41:30 CDT