Oracle re-nstall

From: J. Fleck <fleckj__at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 08:52:38 +0200

I have been trying to re-install Oracle 8.1.7 for 2 weeks now on a Windows 2000 professional system. I have tried both the personal and enterprise editions without success. I am almost certain that after de-installing, Oracle does not completely clean up the Windows registry (there is probably a reason for this e.g migration of a database created under an earlier version). I have tried cleaning up the register manually however I can not delete certain items all of the type "LEGACYORACLE...". I did receive an e-mail from Paul Blake (thanks Paul) with the suggestion that I try site http://metalink.oracle.com Unfortunately while I am a member of the Oracle Technical community I am not allowed to access this site.

What happens. I run install. and I reach the database indentification screen.
I enter the database name and Sid. I choose next. The hourglass cursor appears.
There appears to be a lot of hard disk activity and then the installation program stops. End of story.

The last few lines of the InstallAction.log are shown below:

"Key = HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

SubKey = Software\ORACLE\HOME2

Value = ORACLE_BASE
Query returned : false
Calling query OraBase_Queries1.1 GetOraBase

oracle_home = E:\Oracle_po8
Query returned : E:\Oracle_po8

Setting value of s_oracleBase to E:\Oracle_po8
Setting value of n_starterdbSize to 450
Setting value of b_createStarterDBReturn to true

If any of you experts have ideas, suggestions or ideally solutions, then I would be very grateful.

Regards

Jim Fleck Received on Sat Sep 29 2001 - 01:52:38 CDT