Re: ROWID is IDENTITY?

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 28 Sep 2001 20:22:12 -0500

On Wed, 26 Sep 2001, nobody_at_spam.from.news.AdvanticaTech.com wrote:
> No, you are looking for a SEQUENCE which you make
> auto-incrementing for your column by creating a before insert
> row TRIGGER.

To further this. A sequence is not tied to a table like an identity is in SQLServer. It is an object maintained by Oracle that you can select from.

select seq_name.nextval from dual;

This increments this sequence number and returns it to you. It therefore is more powerful than the identity in SQLServer, but not as easy to use when you want to tie a self-incrementing id to a table through the ddl and be done with it.

I love sequence numbers but would like some way to add it in the ddl of a table, then have the best of both worlds.

--
Galen Boyer
I have nightmares about Tinky Winky beating me with his red bag.