Re: ODBC Driver

From: Brian Tkatch <SPAMBLOCK.Maxwell_Smart_at_ThePentagon.com.SPAMBLOCK>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 16:02:13 GMT

On Thu, 27 Sep 2001 10:30:57 +0200, "Davide Bianchi" <davidebianchi_at_davidebianchi.net> wrote:

>"Esteban Cozzi" <egcotzzi_at_altanvistai.com> wrote in message
>> I have a problem with my windows 98 clients.
>> Where I can update the odbc drivers for oracle?
>
>Use the ODBC drivers distributed by Microsoft, they
>are 3 time faster than the ODBC drivers distributed by
>Oracle.
>
>Davide

On what are you basing this?

I just tested it a a remote view. Oracle's driver took 20 seconds for Access to display it. Microsoft's driver took over two minutes.

On a couple remote tables, Oracle's driver took 4 seconds, Microsoft's between 3 and 3.5.

On a query on a remote table (COUNT(*)), Oracle's and Microsoft's were both about the same, there may be a very slight increase in Microsoft's driver (I'm estimating between .25 and .5 seconds, sometimes).

In pulling up a table list for linking, Oracle's took 29 seconds both times that I tried. Microsoft's took 19 the first time, and 16 the second time.

Have you made your remarks in relation to specfic versions? I'm using Oracle's 8.01.72.00 and Microsoft's 2.573.3711.00

They each seem to have strengths, but three times seems to be an innaccurate claim.

Brian Received on Fri Sep 28 2001 - 11:02:13 CDT