Found dead multi-threaded server

From: Philip Ross <philip_ross_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 16:35:15 +0100

We are running Oracle 8.1.7 on Windows NT4 Service Pack 6a. Since the database was created we have been getting errors like the following in the Oracle alert log:

found dead multi-threaded server 'S000', pid = (12, 1)

We have had very few of these errors (about 5 in 2 months) until very recently. Now we are getting around 10 of these errors a day.

When the error occurs, a connection to the database dies with an 'ORA-03114 not connected to ORACLE' or an 'ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel' error.

The clients are using a mixture of JDBC (OCI Driver) and Delphi BDE connections.

The MTS settings on the server are set to the following:

mts_circuits: 170
mts_dispatchers: (PROTOCOL=TCP)(PRE=oracle.aurora.server.SGiopServer)
mts_dispatchers: (protocol=TCP)
mts_max_dispatchers: 5
mts_max_servers: 20
mts_mutiple_listeners: FALSE
mts_servers: 1
mts_service: main
mts_sessions: 165

Any ideas as to what I can look for or change? Are there any mts settings that are likely to help?

Thanks,

Phil Received on Fri Sep 28 2001 - 10:35:15 CDT