Re: Zero-down time backup

From: Ronald <devnull_at_ronr.nl>
Date: 28 Sep 2001 07:45:47 -0700

anita1766_at_yahoo.com (anita) wrote in message news:<1a1fc02.0109271508.f1e9a85_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hello
> I am faced with a problem of having to provide backup/restore facility
> for a web-site. The catch is that they want to do this through the
> website, which runs on a Weblogic appserver. My company provides the
> web-enabled application inclusive of Weblogic etc, as a package to the
> customer. BUT we expect Oracle to be installed already (and
> configured) .So there is no way I can control the configuration of
> Oracle to do ARCHIVELOGS and 24/7 backup.
>
> 1. What is the usual way to provide zero-downtime backup facility to a
> customer by applications that depend on Oracle being already installed
> on the customer site.
> 2. Are there any approaches you would recommend.
>
> I am not sure if this is clear enough a statement of my problem.
> Please help
>
> Anita

Hi Anita,

get a good dba and sa to configure the database and filesystems to enable hot backup. If your customer does not have one, hire one. Activating the online backup through the website does not look very difficult. Authorisation will be the biggest problem I think. In oracle you need to connect as sysdba to the database and you also need atleast read privilege on the datafiles - during backup.

Ronald.

http://ronr.nl/unix-dba Received on Fri Sep 28 2001 - 09:45:47 CDT