Re: Zero-down time backup

From: Paul Drake <paled_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 04:27:31 GMT

anita wrote:

> Hello
> I am faced with a problem of having to provide backup/restore facility
> for a web-site. The catch is that they want to do this through the
> website, which runs on a Weblogic appserver. My company provides the
> web-enabled application inclusive of Weblogic etc, as a package to the
> customer. BUT we expect Oracle to be installed already (and
> configured) .So there is no way I can control the configuration of
> Oracle to do ARCHIVELOGS and 24/7 backup.
>
> 1. What is the usual way to provide zero-downtime backup facility to a
> customer by applications that depend on Oracle being already installed
> on the customer site.
> 2. Are there any approaches you would recommend.
>
> I am not sure if this is clear enough a statement of my problem.
> Please help
>
> Anita

Anita,

Use an external storage solution that supports taking snapshots. You can basically throw every tablespace into hot backup mode, take a snapshot and take every tablespace out of backup mode. Switch log files. You've got a hot, fuzzy backup.

How big is your budget? - companies like Network Appliance and EMC are glad to help, but it will be in the 6 figure-range.

Paul Received on Thu Sep 27 2001 - 23:27:31 CDT