Re: question ???

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 27 Sep 2001 20:51:01 -0500

On Tue, 25 Sep 2001, Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk wrote:

> But this produces a 'meaningless' primary key value wheras the
> table should (really) have a more meaningfule one based upon
> the data in said table. (Or so I'm told by Data Designers)

Whoa. Intelligence in keys is not a good thing. I'm not sure if I've heard of a good reason yet for a primary key to have intelligence. Even if users need something that makes sense to them, just add an attribute with intelligence in it and let them query that, but always have the primary keys and RI be based on random integers.

--
Galen Boyer
Everyone in town, now, they probably all agree,