Re: Restore

From: Glen A Stromquist <gstromquist_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 20:42:06 GMT

"Marianne & Hans Peter Bøss" <boess_at_mail.tele.dk> wrote in message news:3bb3730f$0$51399$edfadb0f_at_dspool01.news.tele.dk...
> It's possible! The Docid: Note:107020.1 in MetaLink describes the
solution.
> /hpb
>
> "Marianne & Hans Peter Bøss" <boess_at_mail.tele.dk> skrev i en meddelelse
> > Hi
> >
> > Having a database running in archiving mode. Each night the datafile's
and
> > the archived redolog files are copied to tape. But then one day the
server
> > chrashes and all discs are unreadable!

How are the datafiles being backed up?, by an Oracle procedure. eg. cold, hotbackups? Or are you just backing up the drives on the server to tape.

The reason I ask is that thats what was happening with a few databases here when I started as a DBA, I was assured that they (databases) were already being backed up daily, but when I looked in to it there was no Oracle backup procedure in place, the contents of the drive were being backed up to tape while the database was "live" and not in "begin backup" mode.

> > The questions is: Is it possible to restore the database just having the
> > datafiles and the archived redolog files? Do I need any files in the
> > backup? What is the procedure for restoring?

Yes. As long as the datafiles were backed up with either the database down or in hotbackup mode.