Re: rollback segments

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 21:04:28 +0200

"Michiel Brunt" <mbrunt_at_inergy.nl> wrote in message news:9ouovq$cr4$1_at_scavenger.euro.net...
> in our data warehouse we load large amounts of data.
> Logging is not needed, so we turn it off.
> Does this mean that no rollback segments are used?
>
> I still receive an error that rollback segments cannot be extended.
> Could this be caused by temporary tables???
>
> Regards, Michiel

The nologging clause doesn't imply *all* logging is turned off. In reality only CTAS (Create table as select) and direct-load operations (using sqlloader in direct mode, insert /*+ append */ statements are not logged.
All the rest is logged as usual.
There is an undocumented init.ora parameter (and luckily I don't recall it's name currently) to turn off *all* logging, including logging changes to the datadictionary. Oracle doesn't guarantee you can recover the database in that case, whether you are in archivelog or not. So, yes if you don't run any of the above described operations, rollbacks are still being used, and that is *good*. There are better methods to change job.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Received on Thu Sep 27 2001 - 14:04:28 CDT