Re: Alternative to EXP/IMP

From: Richard Shea <rshea_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 27 Sep 2001 00:27:43 -0700

Thanks to everyone for their ideas and suggestions - all very informative. In fact I couldn't easily get both machines on the same network so although I hadn't thought of running the IMP from one machine onto the other I wasn't able to do it anyway.

Although I did prepare the SQL to rebuild the schema I first tried running the EXP executable from the 8.1.6 box on the 8.1.7 box (I mean by physically copying the code across and replacing the _real_ EXP). Well amazingly (to me anyway ;-) it ran OK and the resulting DMP was quite happily IMP'd by the 8.1.6 box.

I'm happy to admit that I don't know as much about all this as I might but just for the record when I tried on 8.1.6 to IMP a .DMP which had had been EXP'd using the 8.1.7 EXP I got the following message ...

>import done in WE8ISO8859P1 character set and WE8ISO8859P1 NCHAR
character set
>IMP-00069: Could not convert to environment national character set's
handle

... which on the surface just looks like the machines have different configs but as I say as soon as I used the .DMP produced by the 8.1.6 EXP not only did it not complain about character sets but everything else seemed to work.

Anyway thanks again to everyone for their suggestions.

regards

richard shea
rshea_at_my-deja.NXOXSXPXAMcom Received on Thu Sep 27 2001 - 02:27:43 CDT