Re: mail shell

From: Michael Heiming <michael_at_heiming.de>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 07:17:46 +0200

Chuck Hamilton (chuck_hamilton_at_yahoo.com) wrote at Wednesday 26 September 2001 22:21:

> "Bill Marcum" <bmarcum_at_iglou.com> wrote in message

>> Chuck Hamilton wrote in message
> <9ostdr$et2o0$1_at_ID-85580.news.dfncis.de>...

>> >"Chuck Hamilton" <chuck_hamilton_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> >>
>> >Even if you don't know of such a product, any help that you can
>> >offer as to how to write the unix end of this would be
>> >appreciated. For instance, is there a way to execute a custom mail
>> >handler as soon as the message arrives at the unix user's inbox
>> >without having to wait for a cron job to pick it up?
>> >
>> It's called procmail.
>>

> Is this a commercial product or something that comes with certain
> unix distributions? My platform is SGI IRIX-64.

Case the LDA of the receiving system is procmail (many systems running sendmail) it could be called through ~/.procmailrc else use ~/.forward, if you control the mail server, your script could be called through an alias too.

www.procmail.org
("Software is like sex, the best is for free" - Linus Torvalds)

Good luck

Michael Heiming Received on Thu Sep 27 2001 - 00:17:46 CDT