Re: terminology - instance, user, tablespace

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 26 Sep 2001 22:25:12 -0500

On 26 Sep 2001, kuku_at_gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de wrote:

> When create table statements are executed by a certain user,
> these tables are unique in this instance, right? It is not
> possible to run two different sets of tables (tablespace?) for
> the same user in an instance.

An instance is the executables of Oracle. Replace the term instance with the word database and you are correct.

> So when I want to have two different databases, say one with
> test data, the other with production data, I would have to
> create two instances.

Again, replace instance with database. But, in this case, you would want to create two instances as well because an instance can only be mounted to one database at a time and I'm sure you would want access to both your databases at the same time.

--
Galen Boyer
Everyone in town, now, they probably all agree,