Re: Can I change db_name or SID for a exist db or How?

From: Lawrence Simela <lsimela_at_mahalini.prestel.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 03:41:26 +0100

Yes you can change the Db name of an existing database. This topic has been covered on this newsgroup in the past so you may want to look at the archives as well. But a brief guide is as follows:

  1. Issue an ALTER DATABASE BACKUP CONTROLFILE TO TRACE statement This will create in your udump directory a file with all the commands to recreate the control file.
  2. Backup your existing control file including the mirrored version.
  3. Shutdown database and remove existing control files
  4. Edit the file created in 1 to change the database name
  5. edit the init.ora file to change the SID and db_name as appropriate
  6. Run the file created in 1 and edited in 4
  7. Issue a statement to change the global name of the database as follows ALER DAtABASE RENAME GLOBAL_NAME TO new_db_name.domain;

And you are done.

Lawrence