Re: Log switching at a specific time interval

From: Trifon Anguelov <trifona_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 18:35:06 +0000

Mark wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I want to force a log switch every 20 minutes at a minimum, or the
> normal event of the log filling - which ever comes first.
>
> Can I do that by setting some init.ora params or do I need to create a
> job that runs every 20 minutes that exec's ALTER SYSTEM SWITCH LOGFILE
> command?
>
> How do I do that?
>
> Oracle 8.1.5

Mark,

There is no parameter which can force Oracle to switch logs in time manner. Schedule a job and run the above command.

If you want to chackpoint , you can set up the parameter LOG_CHECKPOINT_TIMEOUT in init.ora file. The default for 8i is 900 sec, for EE 1800 sec.

LOG_CHECKPOINT_TIMEOUT specifies that the incremental checkpoint is at the position where the last write to the redo log (sometimes called the "tail of the log")
was integer seconds ago. This parameter also signifies that no buffer will remain dirty (in the cache) for more than integer seconds. The value is specified in seconds.

Hope that helps,

Trifon Anguelov

Senior Oracle DBA Received on Wed Sep 26 2001 - 13:35:06 CDT