Re: mail shell

From: Kevin Brand <kevin.brandx_at_tel.gte.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 15:32:00 -0500

This sounds rather dangerous.

I certainly wouldn't try to get too fancy with the set of available commands executable via an inbound email.

A very simple crack at making this work might be this...

Create UNIX user remsupp on the box that will both receive the initial email and send the reply. In remsupp's $HOME create a .forward file containing something like this...

"| /usr/local/bin/systeminfo.ksh"

This will execute the script "/usr/local/bin/systeminfo.ksh". I don't think you can get the contents of your email into the script though. So, I guess the best you could do is just have a script that gets some general info then email the results to your phone or pager, which is better than nothing I suppose.

Depending on your flavour of UNIX, other options may be available.

Hth

-Kevin