Re: assigning a tablespace to a user - how?

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 26 Sep 2001 08:03:25 -0700

Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk> wrote in message news:<A43AA78C3F9DD511AAB100805FBE740D4599E6_at_lnewton.leeds.lfs.co.uk>...

/*Snipped*/
> create user myuser identified by password
> default tablespace myuser
> temporay tablespace temp
> quota 0 on system
> quota unlimited on myuser;
>
> grant unifarce to myuser;

Yes that's a good method. However I seldomly gave a special tablespace to one user, because in typical system you will easily run out of tablespaces. :-)
It's not a good idea to have hundreds of tablespaces in one database. Sometimes is good to gave one tablespace to department or division, or you can just create tablespaces users00 ... users xx, and allocate maybe tens of users to one tablespace, but that depends on application needs.
Another thing is that I very rarely gave unlimited quota to users, because user should has some limit, or you can encounter a data boom in your database.
Also is better when user encounter quota exceeded error than tablespace full, because when user exceeded his quota, then that's his fault, tablespace full is fault of DBA, because storage management is his task.

/*Snipped*/

Dusan Bolek, Ing.
Oracle team leader

Note: pagesflames_at_usa.net has been cancelled due to changes (maybe we
can call it an overture to bankruptcy) on that server. I'm still using
this email to prevent SPAM. Maybe one day I will change it and have a
proper mail even for news, but right now I can be reached by this
email.