Re: Strategy question for 24X7, how to do cold backups?

From: Thomas Schwickert <schwickert_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 14:29:49 +0000 (UTC)

Galen,

it seems to me there is some confusion´(at least, you confused me:-) ) You insist in making Cold(=Offline) Backups. That's not poosible in 24x7 (without changing the calendar :-) ) If you can't shut down your instance, you can't do Offline backups.

In such a situaton, your only chance is HOT (=Online) Backups, (ok, I'm not speaking of the standby database, if you can afford it, perhaps a good way)

In Hot Backups, you just need the archived-logs from the time when the last online-backup started until now, not from the very beginning. Ok, for working against murphy, you should also maintain older online-backups, and also the archived redo logs until then.

> Well, this was the jist of my post. How does one not have to
> recover from the day #1 backup and all of the redo logs from day
> #1 if you are truly 24x7?

Recovery has to be done in every case.
In hot-backup environment restore
your datafiles, the archived logs from the time the backups started, and start your recovery.

If I misunderstood the whole problem, forget this posting :-)

Hth
Thomas

--
Posted from  [212.20.131.226]