Re: Alternative to EXP/IMP

From: Ronald <devnull_at_ronr.nl>
Date: 26 Sep 2001 07:25:31 -0700

rshea_at_my-deja.com (Richard Shea) wrote in message news:<43160f6f.0109260043.61adffb2_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi - I'm looking at alternatives to EXP/IMP when moving a schema/data
> from one box to another (this is because I've got the schema/data on a
> higher version of Oracle then the target machine has, 8.1.7 is trying
> to go to 8.1.6).

Hi Richard,

I think the method depends a bit on taste. Last weekend I migrated a 7.3.4 database from NT to 8.1.6.3 on Solaris with a smart piece of dynamic sql. Doing this way you can read the tables using direct path and also insert the rows with direct path, making it very quick. It took 2 hours to copy a 10G database this way (using parallel query on a 2 node solaris ops database). This works fine as long as you don't have LONG or LONG RAW datatypes.

My reason for this method was the abillity to move tables to different tablespaces as in the source database.

Ronald.

http://ronr.nl/unix-dba Received on Wed Sep 26 2001 - 09:25:31 CDT