Re: Strategy question for 24X7, how to do cold backups?

From: Kevin Brand <unixoracle_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 14:22:20 GMT

You could do that ( recover backup from day #1 and roll forward all logs since then ), however if on day #583 one of your disks fail, causing you to loose a datafile, you *could* just simply restore all or a portion of day #582's HOT backup and only roll forward the logs generated since then ( yesterday ).

Hot backups allow you to stay online while executing a backup. You do NOT need a Cold backup to recover a database. This does assume that your online redo is sufficiently protected from single points of failure though.

24/7 is very difficult to achieve when you consider how frequently patches and new-releases of the RDBMS code become available and/or are required for whatever reason. Instead of worrying about how to implement the backup and recovery so much, you should consider how you will upgrade or patch Oracle software, your OS and your application software while remaining online and available 24/7.

-Kevin