Re: Strategy question for 24X7, how to do cold backups?

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 26 Sep 2001 08:41:14 -0500

On Wed, 26 Sep 2001, paled_at_home.com wrote:

> If you do not have a cold backup prior to putting the database
> into production, you have committed a grave error. I suggest
> that you grab a the backup and recovery handbook (Velpuri) and
> the Oracle docs - Backup and recovery guide for your version -
> and do some heavy reading. The DBA checklists book (O'Reilly)
> has some good material on this subject.

I am not putting anything into production. I've just never quite understood the best strategy for this. As I read things, and they don't make sense, I try to read more. At some point, I come to the newsgroup for their take on it. That's what I'm doing here. No emergency, just Oracle conversation.

> If you can afford the downtime window, I would:

Well, this was the jist of my post. How does one not have to recover from the day #1 backup and all of the redo logs from day #1 if you are truly 24x7?

--
Galen Boyer
Everyone in town, now, they probably all agree,