Re: terminology - instance, user, tablespace

From: Thomas Schwickert <schwickert_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 07:59:42 +0000 (UTC)

Hi again,

really read documentation (Oracle8i Concepts):

http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle8i/doc_library/817_doc/server.817/a76965/toc.htm

"Christoph Kukulies" <kuku_at_gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de> wrote in message news:9orv8g$ejh$1_at_nets3.rz.RWTH-Aachen.DE...

> I have a bit problems in understanding the term instance, users and tablespace
> in Oracle or databases in general.
>
> An instance is identified by a SID, say ORC0.
> I assume, in unix terminology it is a server process that acts on a
> certain set of data.

yes

> When create table statements are executed by a certain user, these
> tables are unique in this instance, right? It is not possible
> to run two different sets of tables (tablespace?) for the same user in
> an instance.

A user USER1 can have just one table TABLE1 (USER1.TABLE1) However, a user USER2 can also have a table TABLE1 (USER2.TABLE1)

> So when I want to have two different databases, say one with test data,
> the other with production data, I would have to create two instances.

In one instance is only one database.
So two instances is a good idea for production and test.

> Are the above considerations correct?
>

> --
> Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kuku_at_gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de

Hth
 Thomas

--
Posted from  [212.20.131.226]