Re: Strategy question for 24X7, how to do cold backups?

From: Richard Armstrong <richard.armstrong_at_juno.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 01:00:23 +0100

Galen,

You don't need to keep all of the archived redo logs from day one. Database changes are flushed from memory to disk regularly and you only need to keep archived logs containing changes that that have not yet been applied to the data files on your latest backup.

If you want to have a secondary backup, have you considered running a regular export dump? This might not be practical though if your database is very large.

Standby database is very useful but I believe the standby instance can't normally be used so the standby machine is idle during normal operation. Have you considered other options such as replication or parallel server to maintain a duplicate database running on a separate server? These are more complicated than standby database but they allow all of your server resources to be used at the same time and your database is still available if one of the servers fails.

Regards,

Richard